Private study collection of photographic objects, literature, ephemera. From a conservators technical point of view.
Yeates & Son
Samuel Yeates (1762-1834) apprenticed to Seacombe Mason, and the two families intermarried over several generations. Samuel was the first in the family to be described as an 'optician', which meant instrument maker; and circa 1790 established the shop on Grafton Street, on the corner of Nassau Street, which the Yeates company occupied for over 100 years. Samuel's second son, George Yeates (1796-1882) designed improved surveying instruments such as a clinometer, level, rangefinder, and theodolite; and George's seventh child Stephen ran the business after 1865. Samuel's third son Andrew (1800-1876) worked with Edward Troughton in the early 1820s, and in 1833 repaired instruments at the Greenwich Observatory under Troughton's supervision. He wrote 'On the notches, Y's or bearings for the pivots of transit instruments' MNRAS 25 (1865) 214-215. Andrew ran an instrument business in London from 1837 to 1873, and married the daughter of Cornelius Varley (Andrew Yeates FRAS, obituary MNRAS 37 (1877) (159-160). The Yeates family manufactured a very large variety of scientific instruments, and circa 1880 their catalogs listed over 2,000 items, including telescopes such as a 'walking stick telescope'. Many items were noted as 'improved' by Yeates. Most of the instruments were probably made by Yeates; although a Grubb equatorial telescope was also sold. Yeates was by appointment the instrument maker for Trinity College.
source: Abrahams, Peter, The Telescope in Ireland: Obscure makers & marks. Irish telescope makers and Irish signatures on telescopes., 1990, pp72-73.